A Southern Grace: preachin' to the choir

March 30, 2015

preachin' to the choir

Yum

I'm not sure how certain recipes are named. Fool? Devils on horseback? Whoopie pies? Dutch baby? Spotted dick? No clue. Another on that list is preacher cookies. I was first introduced to them at my childhood church's monthly fellowship meal, so I like to think that some little old lady made these for her preacher all the time and so they were named thusly.


What's more likely is that chocolate-peanut-butter-oatmeal-no-bake cookies was just too much of a mouthful to use on a regular basis. Whatever the reason, they're a delicious option when you're a)craving that oh-so-popular combination of chocolate and peanut butter, b)oven-less, c)an impatient baker, or d)all of the aforementioned. They come together quickly (though they do require some time to set up) and simply (one bowl!), plus they're made using things you probably already have on hand.


The kicker for this time of year is that they're very easily turned into nests for egg-shaped candies and the like. Abracadabra, you're suddenly one of the most festive and creative folks on the block.

Preacher Shepherd Cookies (for spring!)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats
Directions:
In a heavy saucepan, bring the sugar, cocoa, butter, milk, and salt to a rapid boil.
Let boil for 1 minute, then add the peanut butter and stir until it's melted and well-blended.
Stir in the vanilla, then mix in the oats.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Allow to cool slightly, then, if you want nests, use your thumb or something similarly shaped to leave an indentation in each cookie.

20 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Pretty and delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

They sound really good! And very cute!

Angie's Recipes said...

I see peanut butter and oats...so they must be delicious!

Pam said...

My kids love these little bird nests treats. Yours look adorable.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I didn't know these were called preacher cookies but I definitely like them! Preaching to the choir indeed :)

Marjie said...

I always add chopped walnuts to mine. Nothing like sneaking a little extra nutritional value when no one is looking. Plus, these ship to college really well. I think I'll try turning them into nests this weekend for the great Easter celebration; my sons will appreciate that! (We just call them "No-Bakes." It's easier than the whole long title.)

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

Love how there are so many different names for these types of cookies! No matter the name they are so good! And Iove that you made them into little nests, so cute!

Unknown said...

Have been looking for a "sweet" to have after Easter brunch with our kids/grand-kids. This is perfect, and love the "no bake" part. I will make them a day ahead and keep in fridge. Oh, btw, Happy Easter!

Velva said...

These look delicious. Thanks for sharing the idea/recipe.

Happy Easter

Velva

Carolyn Jung said...

These are super cute with the little candy eggs in the center. What a great addition to any Easter celebration!

Katerina said...

So cute and pretty! Happy Easter Grace!

Joanne said...

Well, whatever you call them, I want a handful!

Barbara said...

Never heard of them by either name, but they look delicious. Love that they are no-bake, kids can help make them for the holidays.

Marcela said...

OH! They look adorable! Kids are going to love them! Lovely Easter recipe!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I must admit that I'm often drawn to unusual names of food items!! :D These are just too adorable! :D

Juliana said...

These little nest are so cute, and yes, perfect for Easter...
Have a great week Grace :)

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Had to laugh at your thoughts on how things get their name. I know I spend WAY to much time trying to figure out the history of food names :)

Cute cookies, but I have never heard that name before!

I Wilkerson said...

I saw another version of these online and thought they were soooo cute. Alas I think I am running late on a homemade Easter this year. Thank goodness the kids are getting older!

lisa is cooking said...

I didn't know these were called preacher cookies! I'm glad to know what to call them now. And, I love the little candy eggs nestled into them.

Betty said...

I've always loved these, but never heard them called preacher cookies! They do make cute nests. :)