A Southern Grace: blue box blues

March 19, 2015

blue box blues

Yum

Fact: There is absolutely, positively no comparison between the macaroni and cheese from that familiar blue box and a batch made completely from scratch (#scratchbatch*). They're not even similar!


*Are people still doing the hashtag thing? I'm always a few steps behind.

Truly, other than the presence of milk and salt, the only quality my homemade mac and cheese shared with the stuff I ate as a kid was the pasta, and even there, I used a different shape**.

**Incidentally, it's a shape I wouldn't recommend--too bulky!


Flavor, consistency, and yes, ease and time of preparation are all vastly different when looking at these two beasts side by side. Where the boxed creation is often thin, neon orange, and slightly artificial in taste (though admittedly comforting), the dish I made is lusciously thick and creamy, a paler, more reasonable hue, and actually has the flavor of real cheese. That's as it should be, though, since there's A LOT of cheese in this recipe. As much cheese as pasta, if we're being honest.

I like that you can vary the shape of the pasta as well as the type(s) of cheese you use. Plus, the list of potential add-ins is lengthy and exciting--Spam, brussels sprouts, sun-dried tomatoes, beans (I COVET that corgi), lobster...and on it goes. Take a little extra time and make your cheese and macaroni from scratch--I don't think you'll regret it!

Cheese and Macaroni
Based on this recipe
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 pound (2 cups) elbow macaroni or other shape of your choice
  • 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese, a good melter, like sharp cheddar or jack
  • 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
Directions:
Heat the milk in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until it just becomes warm, then turn off the heat and set aside.
In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly until the mixture turns light brown in color, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
While whisking constantly, slowly add the hot milk to the flour mixture until evenly combined and smooth. (It will get very thick when you first add the milk, then thin out.)
Return the saucepan to medium-high heat and while whisking constantly, cook until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in 1 teaspoon of the salt, taste, and season with additional salt if desired. Add the pepper, mustard, and nutmeg, and stir to combine.
Remove from the heat and stir in both cheeses just until melted and smooth.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, then drain, being sure to reserve some of the cooking water in case the sauce needs to be thinned out.
Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and heat, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is warmed through and steaming, about 2 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Homemade mac & cheese can't be beat! A lovely recipe.

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...

I don't even eat the box mac & cheese..homemade is the only choice for me. This looks mouthwatering!

Marcela said...

Yes! This dish is mouthwatering! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your comment! I just realized that I posted only one photo of my pasta... Uploaded more few minutes ago, writing about it in case you'd like to see the rest! Have a wonderful week!

Barbara said...

I do love mac and cheese. Noticed my grandson asked for those little plastic bowls to microwave...he has them for lunch (and sometimes dinner). I hated buying them, but they're something he can do himself.
I love a good crunch on my mac and cheese, used to do a bread crumb thing on top. Also love Amanda Hesser's sheet pan mac and cheese. Well...the list can go on and on. Now I've got your recipe. Can we ever have enough mac and cheese recipes?

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I've never tried the blue box one (I think you can buy it here but for some reason we haven't tried it). But I would definitely this version and love it!

Velva said...

The blue box served it purpose but, man oh man there is nothing like homemade mac n cheese. Rock on!

Velva

Betty said...

My children went through a stage where nothing would do except for the boxed stuff. Now that they're grown, they've apologized. :) Your pasta looks really good and cheesy- just how I like it!

Marjie said...

My grown kids always have a blue box in my cupboard, just in case they come home and want some m&c quickly. Your cheese combo sounds wonderful, maybe with a touch of black pepper.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Nothing beats homemade made mac and cheese - but I admit I do crave for the blue box sometimes!

Joanne said...

I definitely prefer homemade to the blue box! My favorite comfort food.