A Southern Grace: lawsy, lawsy

June 11, 2012

lawsy, lawsy

Yum

If you live in the southern chunk of America, chances are good that you've heard some flabbergasted woman utter the made-up word lawsy at some point. Heck, I've even said it myself. In fact, it's what came to mind when I saw the name of a product I was asked to review.

Yes, these are real hot dogs.  No foolin'.

Slawsa. Ever heard of it? I hadn't, but thank goodness I have now. It's a combination of salsa and slaw made by a small southern company looking to go nation-wide. It's similar to chow chow in that it's the ultimate topper to things like hot dogs, brats, burgers, pulled pork, and beans, but it's so much more! Slawsa is fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, (but certainly not flavor-free!) and contains a LOT less sodium than your traditional store-bought condiments.


Sometimes I get asked to review things that don't merit high praise, but that's far from the case here--this stuff is awesome, and it'll make you say "Lawsy, lawsy!" even if you've never heard the word in your life. It's the PERFECT hot dog accompaniment, which is high praise from someone who previously allowed only one certain kind of cole slaw or her mamster's red pepper relish to bedeck her weiner. Try Slawsa if you can find it--people in the South and parts of the Midwest should have no trouble! Add it to your grocery list for your next cookout!


*Disclaimer: While I was sent a free jar of Slawsa to review, the opinions are my own!

Red Pepper Relish
(yields about 3 cups)

4 red bell peppers, chopped in small pieces

1 onion, chopped in small pieces
2-2/3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups white vinegar
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Add everything to a small sauce pan and stir all the ingredients until well incorporated. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes and turn down the heat to medium-low for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has reduced. Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.


For the record, I still haven't stumbled upon that perfect cole slaw recipe.
Dang it.
So elusive.

35 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrummy! That relish looks and sounds good and so dose the slawsa.

Cheers,

Rosa

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow, it's a whole new language isn't it! LOL :P

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Excuse me but I am relishing a moment with this relish ;)

Cheers
CCU

pam said...

What a great idea! I wonder if I can find it here?

Becki's Whole Life said...

I haven't heard that word in a long time, but now I am sure it will be stuck in my head for the next few weeks:-). This sounds super yummy. We have Kroger and of course Wal-Mart so I will keep an eye out for it. This is great stuff to have for summer months of endless grilling!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am sure this would be equally delicious on burgers or slidersKeep trying to find that perfect coleslaw recipe!

Beth said...

"Lawsy" is great, and sounds so southern. I've never heard it used here in Canada, but there's always a first!

Barbara said...

Looks so good, Grace. Wonder if I can find it here?

Carolyn Jung said...

These for the main course and your hot dog faux cookies for dessert. What a meal THAT would be! ;)

Joanne said...

I love it when people give these crazy fun fusion names to things. I'm convinced it makes them taste better.

lisa is cooking said...

Salsa and slaw coming together just in time for summer grilling--genius! Love the color of your red pepper relish too.

Monet said...

I didn't always like condiments, but after meeting and marrying my husband, I've slowly changed my tune. This slaw/relish/salsa looks delicious. Thank you for sharing!

vianney said...

yummy colors/flavors...perfect for summer

The Teacher cooks said...

Cannot wait to find slawsa!!! The hot dog looks delicious!

Juliana said...

Such an interesting combination this slawsa...and from the description must taste yum! Perfect for this time of the year...lots of BBQ :)
Thanks for sharing this product and hope you are having a great week Grace!

Blond Duck said...

Is hot dog pie next? :)

Erica said...

I love condiments! This looks delicious....I would love to try it!

Leslie said...

Hot diggity dog!!!!!

Sue/the view from great island said...

Slawsa slawsa! For the record, these are the best hot dog pics I've EVER seen. Your photos have a way of making me grin as I scroll down your posts.

Julie M. said...

You sold me Grace! Between your fabulous pictures and the adorable name I'm adding it to my grocery list for a must try. :)

Faith said...

I LOVE chow chow so this would be right up my alley -- perfect for topping dogs and burgers!

shaz said...

Such a great word. And slawsa - what a time saving, nifty idea!

kat said...

Sounds like something Matt would love.

Lynda said...

Lawsy, it's been a while since I've heard that word. I'm going to look for Slawsa here in SW Mo. Surely we are close enough to the south to have it here.
I know I want a hot dog now with the red pepper relish; it looks really yummy! Great recipe from your mamster. :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I have never heard of lawsy. I would try your hot dogs. Looks so good.

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMMM,..I never heard of lawsy before! Your real hot digs look so appetizing, yum!
It would be great to add to cooked burgers as a special topping!

Chineka said...

This sounds great and I love how the company combined the two main ingredients into the name.

~~louise~~ said...

Iit sure sounds like that company has a winner on its hands! Good combination!

However, I must say, Grace, I am totally mesmerized by your Red Pepper Relish and I'm a naked dog kinda gal!!!

Thanks for sharing...

Pam said...

I have a sudden craving for a hot dog with slawsa!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I love interesting and different toppings for hot dogs. They all look delicious!

Half Baked said...

I say lawsy at least one a day...I'll definitely be on the look out for slawsy!

Julie said...

This is Julie from Slawsa. First, Grace takes the most amazing photos and we are honored by her review!

I cannot tell you how much it means to us as a small southern company to have your support of our very unique brand. Do not hesitate to ever reach out to us if you have any questions about Slawsa and a list of our growing retail partners is listed on our site, www.slawsa.com.

If we're not sold in your area, please ask for us! And remember, it's not too late to order some Slawsa in time for 4th of July. Never again should you need to bore your guests when you grill out! Thanks so very much for your support!

Deborah said...

I totally love this idea!

Anonymous said...

Lawsy isn't a made-up word, it's from the Scots-Irish influenced Appalachian dialect, which also has roots in archaic English.

grace said...

@Anonymous: i stand corrected, but really, aren't all words made up? :)